From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2010 13:54:46 -0600
Peter said:
>Regarding the importation of Mexican hives, nobody has pointed out the main
>drawback: These are Africanized bees.

http://www.cccarto.com/killerbees/index.html

Opps! the almond areas are all AHB.

The name "Killer bees "came from Hollywood and researchers wanting funds.

I have tried to ship queens into Australia for breeding purposes but the
Australian government will not except U.S. queens as being free of AHB
genetics ( for sound reasons!).

 NOT EVEN the queens from Baton Rouge or Glenn Apiaries. The Aussies say
they do not trust our tests.

Africanized genetics are widespread in the U.S..

Commercial beekeepers list AHB as last on their list of important issues.

 Hype by some have managed to keep the "Killer Bee" saga alive!

Hot hives are not common today even in the commercial operations in Mexico.
Even Brazil has a growing commercial bee industry.

>Nobody will want (or be able) to grade them,

I am afraid beekeepers will have to insist on grading those hives!(
kidding!)

The only people still harping about the dangers of AHB are ill-informed
researchers and beekeepers.

In Texas (  AHB 20 years )  areas my friends report a hot hive now maybe one
in a hundred per season and those are easily depopulated our split into nucs
to be requeened.

 I have always seen a hot hive every 100 or so hives for as long as I have
been keeping bees. No big deal but I understand BEE_L is not made of
beekeepers which have experience with hot bees for the most part so many
will reject what I say.

The first AHB swarm entered in 1989 in Hidalgo, Texas 21 years ago. At the
*very documented* spread rate of 300 miles per year AHB is most likely
found in most areas of the south only few are looking now and DNA is only
done in a serious stinging incident by the USDA. Also serious stinging
incidents has been around since the start of beekeeping.

Many have spent time in the yards of Dee Lusby and report her bees are
manageable. If her bees are manageable then those in a commercial setting
with European yearly requeening should be very docile.

>you'll end up getting a bunch of junk hives.

And you base this  on what? Hollywood B movies?

 Peter's point of view was common 20 years ago and possibly accepted as we
really did not know what the end result of the AHB invasion would be. 20
years later now and we can see the hypothesis that AHB would be the end of
beekeeping in the U.S. did not happen nor will it happen in the future.

>Also, insofar as the grading and inspection taking place *before* they come
>across: you are talking about one of the most corrupt and lawless countries
>in the world. (Correct me if I am wrong)

Is there a listing of the most corrupt and lawless countries as I wonder how
far down the list the U.S. is?

Example:
Then why did our congressmen stand up and applaud when the president of
Mexico said the border violence and issues were our fault when he addressed
congress? ( I am still trying to figure that out myself!).

bob