Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Bill Van Roekel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 08:27:48 -0500
>> Seems to me Bill wilson told us back in the '70's about
>> someone (maybe him) having bred a line of noticably AFB resistant bees
within about 5 generations as an experiment.

>Again from memory, it was at Ohio State, done back in the 40s or 50s?

At the risk of being corrected by someone who has the references in front
of them, I need to stand up for my home state.  I believe the development
of AFB resistant bees was done here in Iowa. The time frame was (I think),
the 50's or 60's.  I got my start in bee keeping after taking a class at
Iowa State University from Richard Trump, who as I remember, worked on this
project.  I am not sure who else was involved, Mr. Trump apparently was
just assisting.  (Possibly it was Frank(?) Pellet)
The resistant colonies were not maintained for very long after the
experiment.  The cost of maintaining the bees (budget constraints), and the
development of inexpensive easy chemical treatments for AFB removed much of
their appeal/value.  It seems to me that Mr. Trump indicated that these
resistant bees were not much different from other colonies in production or
temperment.
I would be happy to hear from anyone who has the references for this
project (even if my story is completely wrong).
FWIW
Bill Van Roekel
Central Iowa, USA