From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2008 20:24:06 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Gavin Ramsay
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>No video links, but you can see the tabled document, a transcript of
>the debate, the outcome of the vote and text adopted here:

LOL..this is not the video I meant, but never mind. I meant the one from
a few weeks back when we were in Brussels. I should imagine a video of
the debate would be a great cure for insomnia.

>indeed the lead politician (who also went for Einstein as his lead-in)

I pointed out whilst in Brussels that the Einstein quote was an urban
myth, but nevertheless it persists. I understand its origin is in a
presentation by French beekeepers a few years back and was never known
before.

>but it is clear that this was an initiative that might deliver
>something positive for beekeeping (well done Murray!).

I am only a bit part player in this. The bee forage areas were my idea,
enthusiastically taken up and run with by the agriculture committee, and
the very short four species list initially suggested in the document
were given to the chairman by myself, on the understanding that this
list will vary according to where in Europe the plantings need to be
made. The pesticides were the special area of our French colleague,
Gerrard Schiro, who had so many papers and reports with him he almost
needed a van! Most of the rest were from several sources, and it is
apparent that some items were included to keep the Greens onside.

--
Murray McGregor