From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2008 12:23:36 -0500
Hello All,

I wanted to share a wonderful historical bee
article from the United Kingdom,  published
in the Times, London, Middlesex. October 22, 1828

It reveals a side of Huber to my knowledge not
widely known.  It is a wonderfully moving love
story, between Huber and his wife.  And besides
an expression of deep love and devotion between
them,  it can lead one rethink; who were the eyes of
Huber?,,,was it Francis Burnens? or perhaps someone
else?  If another person was contributing to Hubers
“observations“, might this knowledge have been
suppressed in Hubers publications, in pursuant with
the thinking at the time?

Hope you enjoy it!

A PDF file of the original publication can be found at:

In the folder:  ‘Historical Bee Articles 1800 - 1849
Under the file name:  ‘1828 - Madame Huber’

The Times
Wednesday, October 22, 1828 London, Middlesex

=====Article Start====

1828 - Madame Huber

The following anecdote of Huber, the celebrated
naturalist, appears in the Memories sur Josephine, the first
volume of which has just been published by Mr. Colbum.
M. Huber's work on the natural history of bees is well known
in this country, but we believe it is little known that his
observations relative to the habits of this insect were made
through the medium of his wife, at a time when he was
totally blind :—" We frequently visited," says the authoress,
“an interesting and remarkable man, M. Huber, nephew of
the friend of Voltaire. He had been blind since the age of 17.
At that period he fell in love with a rich young lady, who
returned his affections, but their parents opposed their union,
and they were separated. A few months afterwards he was
afflicted with gutta serena. which deprived him entirely of
sight, which he regretted the more because he was unable to
see the object of his affection, he was sent to Paris with the
hope that a cure might be effected, but he obtained no
relief, and returned in despair to Geneva. Mademoiselle
Lullia having been made acquainted with his misfortune,
declared to her parents that although she would readily
submit to their will if the man of her choice could have done
without her, yet, as he now required a person to be always
with him, nothing should prevent her being united to him.
Her parents became more obstinate than ever in withholding
their consent; but when she became of age, she, after having
refused several brilliant offers, married the person for whom
she had formed a disinterested affection and their mutual
conduct soon obtained for them pardon for their disobedience.
This excellent woman discovered a thousand means of
assuming the sad position of her husband. During the war she
composed whole armies, with pins, of various sizes, and thus
enabled him to distinguish the position of the different corps.
She also invented for him a plan, by which he was enabled to
write, and also formed plans en relief of their residence: in a
word, she had but one occupation—that of making the life of
her husband happy. To such a point did this amiable woman
carry her attentions, that M. Huber asserted, that a
restoration to sight was no longer desirable. “ I should not
know,” said he, “to what extent a person could be beloved:
besides, to me my wife is always young, fresh, and pretty."
M. Huber had a great taste far natural history. He had read
to him a great number of work, on this subject, and particularly
relative to bees, of which he was very fond. He discovered
that all the works which treated on that subject were
very imperfect. He requested Madame Huber to provide herself
with a glass, and to examine carefully the formation and
habits of the bee. With her assistance he made several
discoveries. which he published under the title of Recherches sur les
Abeilles, a work which is very highly spoken of.

=====Article End=====

Best Wishes,
Joe