From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2007 09:32:04 -0600
 Hello Mike & All,
BEE-I is basically a hobby/sideline list and your thoughts do apply to those
direct marketing their product. However when on the scale of the four
beekeepers from my December ABJ article honey is simply a commodity sold
bulk in drums or totes raw on the open market to the highest bidder. Sure
floral source and other things enter into the equation but the factor which
counts the most is the current price being paid by packers.

Not many large beekeepers pack their own honey.

I don't think I posted on BEE-L about the largest sale of honey being sold
last spring the world has ever seen. Both the seller and buyer tried to keep
the sale quiet but hard to do when the lines of semis outside honey
warehouses are a half mile long.

Adee Honey Farms had been sitting on drums of honey ( how many
years?)waiting for the price to reach levels it did once a few years ago
(highest in U.S. history) but never happened (despite closing import
loopholes) so Richard sold his drums to packers. 11,000+ drums. The reported
price was 1.10 to 1.12 a pound but although my information comes from
reliable sources (all saying the same information) The buyer and seller are
making no public statement although the Adees have confirmed the sale as the
buyers have also.

Mike said:
> This sentence is at the heart of the marketing issue.  If your product
> cannot be distinguished from the competition, then the market forces will
> push you about.

With all comodities its supply and demand. Doubt the situation will ever
change in a world honey market for bulk raw unprocessed honey.

> What is the Unique Selling Point of the product?

Please do not confuse selling small amounts of honey with the discussion of
comodity honey.

Orange, Sourwood, Buckwheat or Tupelo honey can bring higher prices in the
specialty honey packer market . But when supplies are high you can get
docked because of the need for blending out those flavors in the regular
market.
Orange honey in Florida is at times docked if dark and strong in flavor and
the whole state has a bumper crop. Way more than is needed for the specialty
market.

Richard Adee's plan to hold as much of his crop as long as he can waiting
for the price to increase is common and has been pacticed for as long as
commercial beekeeping has been around but there comes a time when you are
forced for various reasons to clear the warehouse. Honey is fairly easy to
store for a few years if moisture is correct. The CCC honey loan program was
started to give commercial beekeepers cash flow while being able to wait up
to nine months looking for a buyer. Before the loan program the packers
stood at the beekeepers door with cheap offers knowing the beekeeper would
have to sell a certain amount of drums to create fall cash flow.

 If you don't have one then
> why not buy your competitor's product if it's comparable and cheaper?

I can not tell you the number of marketing presentations I have sat through
over the last four decades. One thing has always been the same:

THE LOWEST PRICE HONEY ON THE SHELF SELLS THE MOST JARS.

same with mustard & ketchup. The reason why Mustard & ketchup remain cheap.
Get too much higher on the shelf than your competition and your sales will
drop. Been there and done that.

Many buyers simply scan the shelf and grab the lowest price bottle in the
size they want. I spent a couple days once in a store watching and then
asking buyers why they made their purchase. I found a different scenario in
health food stores so I concentrated on selling honey in health food stores
where my "local' label would help sell my product. I still do retail sales
in stores but not on the scale i did at one time.

> Perhaps we all have a
> Unique "X" factor, but X= manuka gives a honey that commands UK prices
> well
> over $US20 per pound retail.

I can tell you that any honey priced at $20 a pound in most grocery stores
will not hold shelf space. Maybe in a health food store but sales will be
limited.

bob

--
believed to be clean.