From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2007 17:49:16 -0500
An article that supports my own views on sustainability in Agriculture and what's wrong with
migratory beekeeping.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/16/magazine/16wwln-lede-t.html?
ei=5124&en=6fe50addedc76f38&ex=1355461200&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink&page
wanted=all

New York Times
December 16, 2007
THE WAY WE LIVE NOW
Our Decrepit Food Factories

By MICHAEL POLLAN

excerpts

"We’re asking a lot of our bees. We’re asking a lot of our pigs too. That seems to be a hallmark of
industrial agriculture: to maximize production and keep food as cheap as possible, it pushes
natural systems and organisms to their limit, asking them to function as efficiently as machines.
When the inevitable problems crop up — when bees or pigs remind us they are not machines —
the system can be ingenious in finding “solutions,” whether in the form of antibiotics to keep pigs
healthy or foreign bees to help pollinate the almonds. But this year’s solutions have a way of
becoming next year’s problems. That is to say, they aren’t “sustainable.”"

"Whenever we try to rearrange natural systems along the lines of a machine or a factory, whether
by raising too many pigs in one place or too many almond trees, whatever we may gain in
industrial efficiency, we sacrifice in biological resilience. The question is not whether systems this
brittle will break down, but when and how, and whether when they do, we’ll be prepared to treat
the whole idea of sustainability as something more than a nice word."