From:
Pollinator <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 1998 01:42:12 EST
[log in to unmask] (Michael Palmer) comments

    <<Here in Vermont, we seem to have a new honey.>>  (snip)

(and)  <<Frank C. Pellet. "It's too bad that our Iowa cornfields don't yield
honey. The acreage would be sufficient to feed the world." No doubt! He
goes on to remember an experience of his as a boy.
    He was riding his bike through the cornfields in Indiada. He stopped
to get some shade beneath the corn. After some time, he noticed a
distinct popping sound. It reminded him of the saying - corn is growing
so well you can hear it. Finally he heard a pop, and saw the crack in
the corn that made the sound. Corn juice oozed from the crack. Bees
sucked up the juice as it dried.
    Could this be our mysterious honey?? Any ideas?? Could check for
pollen in the honey, but dont have the equipment needed>>

   I've seen honeybees suck juice from the stubble of field corn/sorghum, but
doubt that it would be a significant honey source.  It would be very late in
the season, and would certainly not have corn pollen included.

    Most of the reports I've gotten from folks up your way indicate a lot of
honeydew in the last couple years.  Watch out.....it is terrible for wintering
bees.

From South Carolina

   Two gorgeous days in lower 70's, then today pushing awful close to 80. Bees
are furiously working wild mustard, and look in very nice shape. Had a little
robbing during the rainy weather earlier, and the weak ones have been culled.

   Started spring feeding today. One gallon each, whether they needed it or
not. Boy it's good to be out amongst the bees!  Been tied up inside with gift
sales, holidays, and illness.

   Illness may have been due to bee venom withdrawal, now that I've got my
minimum daily requirement, I'm good to go.

([log in to unmask])   Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
The Pollination Scene:  http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop    (Varietal Honeys and Beeswax Candles)
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm