From:
Nick Wallingford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 1996 08:07:48 GMT+1200
> Well after looking up the definitions of pulpa and larva and imago.  I think
> you are right they look more like bee bodies than larva.  So that is a
> normal occurance?

Even healthy hives seem to throw out an amazing number of larvae.  I
guess with the 'mass rearing', there must be a number of rejects for
various reasons...  The most common reason would be chilling, I would
expect: a colony expands brood rearing out into an area of the hive
that it can't 'cover' when the weather turns back to colder.  And
those (by then) pupae are killed by the chilling.  And then removed
by the adults.

> I have noticed
> lot's of activity from time to time and they don't look like they are coming
> or going but just hanging out for a time and then go back in to the hive.

Yes, you've got it right.  The young bees take a number of
orientation flights, over a period of several days.  They fly back
and forth in front of the hive, moving closer in and further out.
Must just be sort of imprinting the close in landmarks.

  (\      Nick Wallingford
 {|||8-   home [log in to unmask]
  (/      work [log in to unmask]
NZ Beekeeping http://www.wave.co.nz/pages/nickw/nzbkpg.htm