Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 19:01:35 -0700
8bit
From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Dave Cushman,

I need some advice please,
Was reading a study that mentioned there were five
possible quantitative trait loci that effects drone
size, and a possible 4 QTLs that affected worker size.

My colonies are set in at about 5.0 mm and seem to not
want to draw smaller than that.  Kimsey 1982 writes
"wing length is linearly correlated with body size".
So I'm looking to use wing length measurements as a
possible tool in assessing which colonies have genetic
potential to seat in at a smaller size.  I'm wondering
if the fore-wing would be the one to measure here.
Wondering also if you observed any other morphological
characteristics in smaller bees I can use to help
determine the 'actual' bee size?  Are wings measured
with a projection slide screen or under a microscope
and what magnification?

I would also like to get started up with Morphometry.
Could you please advise what tools I need to get
started?

Also looking to start FABIS testing next spring as a
part of my swarm collecting procedures.  I need to
learn this FABIS technique because I collect many
swarms to integrate into my Apiaries.  Is the FABIS
method available on your site?  They are drawing up
some kind if 'AHB plan' here in PA, and this would put
me ahead of the curve here.  The pest company I
collect swarms for is getting a bit antsy about the
possibility of AHB and we are considering including
FABIS testing in the swarm collecting fee.

Best wishes,

Joe Waggle ~ Derry, PA
Small Cell Beekeeping
‘Bees Gone Wild Apiaries'