Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 2017 18:48:48 -0400

> Two applications at 7 days apart do give up to 90% in our research.

> So monitor and decide if you need another treatment. As Randy said oxalic
> acid sublimation would work for 3 days at the most 5 days.

I should have waited five more minutes. Hallelujah.

Medhat, I should have known you would have the answer.

Interesting that 3 applications would seem to be unnecessary. So two
applications seven days apart in early August followed by two in late
September if robbing and collapsing hives are going on, should control
Varroa until the final broodless treatment. This keeps treatments to a
minimum with good control (90 % is excellent).

S I go back to my original plan less one (2x7 vs 3x7) but only 2
applications or 5 total for the late summer-winter treatments. Save two
treatments.

Last year, after MAQS, one hive had Bee Paralysis and PMS and was
dwindling. I decided to try the OAV treatment for the first time so used my
battery charger as a power source. I did not realize it, but the charger
was on its last legs and was good for only one treatment at full power and
then dropped in power for the next so by the third it was near worthless.
Since I was new at the business I had no idea that was happening. I treated
twice, five days apart for four hives with the really bad one first each
time, which was serendipitous.

The Varroa indicators started to disappear form the first hive but I gave
it little chance for survival. In the spring, the sick hive was fine, no
Varroa indicators. The next hive that got a reduced dose was excellent, The
third hive lost its queen and the fourth made it through but weak. So the
first two OAV treated hives survived fine while the one that got the least
from the OAV (#4) barely made it. Both of the survivors have done
exceptionally well this season and have made an OAV believer out of me.It
works and I am happy that Medhat confirmed it.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine