From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 2009 20:28:36 -0300
Thankyou Randy for sending me some information on immunity suppression and
imidacloprid.  I did not realize that so much research has gone into using
imidacloprid at sublethal doses to enhance the effect of  "mycopathogens"
like Beauveria, Metarhizium, and various Nosemas in killing target pests.

I am wondering if the same methodology as was used in the paper you sent by
Santos et al
"Selection of entomopathogenic fungi for use in combination
with sub-lethal doses of imidacloprid: perspectives for the
control of the leaf-cutting ant Atta sexdens rubropilosa
Forel (Hymenoptera: Formicidae)"
has been used to compare the lethality of either nosema in combination with
sublethal doses of imidacloprid?  At what doses do you see the sort of
synergistic effects that Santos found (immune suppression)?

Two of the papers I would be very interested to read would be:

11. Boucias DG, Stokes C, Storey G, Pendland JC. The
effects of imidacloprid on the termite Reticulitermes
flavipes and its interaction with the mycopathogen
Beauveria bassiana. Pflanzenschutz-Nachrichten Bayer
1996;49:103-44.

Imidacloprid-Enhanced Reticulitermes flavipes (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae)
Susceptibility to the Entomopathogen Metarhizium anisopliae J. Econ.
Entomol, 1999,92(5): 1125-32

Perhaps the first is in the papers you mentioned that Bayer gave you on
imidacloprid.  Likely they have more than the one paper on such an important
effect.  But as a specific question for David Fischer that I think you would
be interested in asking,  I would suggest  "Has Bayer studied the
synergistic effects of imidacloprid and nosema apis and ceranae on
honeybees?"  What did they find?  And if they haven't, why not, given that
they know that it enhances the lethality of other mycopathogens and have
trademarked the "effect" (Premise Plus Nature).

BTW,  I am sorry if you felt I was putting you down in any way for being on
a committee with Bayer, or that I do not appreciate those efforts.  I myself
had a lot of interaction with Robert Steffens and Veldon Sorenson of Bayer
when they were funding the study of my hives.   I just have a lot of hard
feeling regarding the second study and the fact that the samples were never
analyzed.  And Dave Fischer said on the bee-list that he would get back to
me about it.  I also sent him two emails off list, and he still said he was
working on it.  But he never did reply.  And yes, the researcher is part of
the problem.

Stan