From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 2009 07:38:50 -0300
Some of this discussion is based on the premise that old dark comb is
propolized.  But I thought that the dark comb is the residue of the
accumulation of cocoon residues. Certainly that seems to be the case when
melting it.  One can see all the residue coming out of the wax.  Certainly
the wax is much darker than cappings wax, but is this from propolis, or from
contact with all the cocoon material.  I do see propolis on the comb in the
bottom of the first box, but not visibly elsewhere.

I seem to recall postings from Tony in Norway that indicated a very high
amount of comb replacement as a nosema control, and think that Norway could
not be considered "southern" beekeeping.  Juanse's bees are so southern that
they could almost be considered "northern" and because he has a market for
old comb (for raising wax moth!) they are largely on new comb, and seem to
be healthier I thought as a result.

As a note on propolis:  I saw a species of trigona in Venezuela which use
unbelievable amounts of propolis (they use geopropolis, or propolis mixed
with soil as a building material as well).  They will invade weak mellifera
hives (to make use of the pollen stores) and actually drive the bees out by
propolizing everything to an extent that the former occupants can not
handle.  In Brazil this bees is sometimes kept (meliponaculture they call
it) and the honey is harvested with a syringe!  It is prized as eye
medicine.

Stan