From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jun 2015 12:30:57 -0300
On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 10:36 AM, Kevin Gross wrote:

> >  It may be that the viruses in this population are less virulent,

>>that the all honey diet

 >is bolstering immunity to the viruses, or perhaps it’s a combination of
both and/or other factors.

I wouldn't use the "all honey diet" expresion since it mislead the reader
when in fact we need to think on a "good season bee diet", which includes
good pollen, enough propolis, safe water, lots of nectar and a colony in
equilibrium.

In my opinion we are 100% responsible for bee wellfare (which includes
reducing mortality rates) but we can be acounted for less than 40% of the
end of season results, the other 60% or more is due to the sun, mother
nature, weather, ecosystem or the way you want to call that external life
offer.

As Stan noted on another thread, during past season I grew from 2400
colonies to 4000 at peak season. We are geting into winter with 3400.
Average honey production this season was 8.5 kg per hive. We have lots of
colonies and a bright pollination future ahead, but we are broke: No honey
no money.

With that data most of you probably tought, wtf is this fellow expecting as
honey production if he splited for growing.

but reality is that when compared with my fellow beekeeper, the ones that
do honey on the same environment we got very similar averages but I grew
and they lost colonies. This season we experienced the worst of a 100 years
recurrence drought. No wonder we produced not much honey.

When I dig on those that had this season a decent production in the country
(remember that beekeepingChile is some 2000 km long with at least 10
different mayor microclimates and you can have a 9 months season if move
from North to south) I conclude this was a tuff season for everyone, and
those that have a higher average of produced honey, produced early honey
(canola or Litraea caustica) and not treated for varroa following all
consecutive flow (all minor ones). After 8 to 9 month latter they did their
varroa treatment. No wonder they have huge mortalities. Varroa/viruses ate
them.

And when I separate those that did Ulmo as the final flow, we all have a
production close to 10 kg/hive with huge differences between previous
season colonies and this season splits.

Ulmo is a late flow, so previous season colonies have closed for the winter
before Ulmo came (late) while this season splits were huge (full brood box)
and with the new queen reacted rapidly to the flow (they were at the valley
during the summer and were moved to the mountain for the Ulmo flow).

well enough said, need to run to pick up kids from school, cheers