From:
Dan Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jun 2015 09:12:44 -0400
I commonly read where beekeepers compare the adaption of EHB to tracheal mites and varroa mites. Is this a fair comaparison? It was always my belief that there were stocks of EHB that had had a sufficiently long evolutionary exposure to tmites for a balanced host/parasite adaption to occur. I think Brother Adam searched throughout Europe to find those stocks.
On the other hand vmites are a totally exotic parasite.  The only thing they have in common, to my thinking, is the term 'mite'.
If my understanding of these two parasites is right....then there is no way to compare our bees' ability to adapt  to varroa in anything remotely close to the same period as happened with the outbreak of tracheal mites.
If my understanding of this is wrong I'm sure I'll be corrected in an even shorter period.