Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 2010 21:12:12 -0600
> While we are on sugar....how to I get my 2:1 syrup to stop crystalizing in
> the feeders

Is the syrup perfectly clear when you distribute it?  If not, then letting
it set for a day or two until there is no sign of haziness before filling
feeders may solve your problem.  If not, then you may be mixing it too
thick.

You don't say how long your syrup sits in the feeders.  67% sucrose syrup
will precipitate out if left for a long time at very cold temperatures, but
syrup should not remain in feeders for very long.  It should be removed by
the bees in a matter of hours or days. If not, then they don't need syrup or
there is something wrong with the bees or the feeder.

Feed consumption is a good indicator of bee health.  Colonies which ignore
pollen patties or syrup placed near or in the cluster in warm weather and
which are short of stores are probably unhealthy and need further diagnosis
and treatment.