Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2018 19:16:28 -0400
>  with some of the major online journals, the overall editors may be journalists, not scientists.  That can lead to serious problems when reviewers and authors exploit that knowledge weakness. In the case of ABJ, Kirsten is a scientist ...

Hi Jerry,

I would like to say a few things in honor of Joe Graham.  Joe was hired as editor of the ABJ in 1974, the year I became a beekeeper. He oversaw multiple editions of The Hive and the Honey Bee, and held the position until his retirement in 2017. He is a shining example of someone who worked his way up the ranks to the top of his field.

He carried on the tradition of a bee magazine of interest to both professionals and sideliners. In the 1990s there were specific "Apicultural Research" sections, but the ABJ was never meant to be a scientific journal. It is a "trade paper." I proudly own the entire twentieth century, hard bound in a steel bookcase. I have the entire 20th cent. of Gleanings in Bee Culture as well.

So, Joe edited for more than 40 years. I wrote for the magazine for 10 of those years and was proud to be part of it during that time. We both retired at almost the same moment. I don't know what he is up to, but I hope he is doing well in this phase of his life. I hope the new editor respects what he and the long list of previous editors built, and carries on in that spirit.

PLB

see:   https://americanbeejournal.com/history/

The early volumes of the Journal contain the names of many men of worldwide reputation in the beekeeping world. From the start, Langstroth was a contributor, but to mention a few of the others we would include Henry Alley, Adam Grimm, Moses Quinby, Elisha Gallup, Charles Dadant, Baron von Berlepsch and Dzierzon. Charles Dadant made his first contributions in November 1867, introducing himself as a newcomer from France.

M.G. Dadant, returning from college at the University of Illinois, joined the staff of the Journal in October 1918, and his name appears in that issue as business manager. A title he was to hold until the death of his father, C.P. Dadant. About the same time, G.H. Cale, Sr., was employed to take care of the Dadant apiaries, and his name first appears in the October 1928 issue of the Journal as an associate editor, and later he became designated editor on the death of C.P. Dadant in 1938.

During the 1940s through the 1960s, Journal editors and associate editors included M.G. Dadant, Frank C. Pellett, J.C. Dadant, Roy A. Grout and Adelaide Fraser. In 1965, Vern Sisson came on board, first as an assistant editor and later as editor during the early 1970s. Others assisting with the Journal during the early 1970s included Dale Maki and Jim Sheetz. Bill Carlile, long-time columnist and Dadant beekeeper, also assisted in editorship duties during the 1970s.