Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2019 10:01:09 -0500
Gene writes:
> Shouldn't skill and deep understanding be much more important? ... yes even the rocks suffer.

I agree with the first part, but it seems to preclude the second. Deep understanding of suffering suggests that rocks do not suffer. Continuing on the capacity of invertebrates to suffer:

> Nociception is the physiological detection of noxious stimuli. Because of its obvious importance, nociception is expected to be widespread across animal taxa and to trigger robust behaviours reliably. Nociception in invertebrates, such as crustaceans, is poorly studied.

> Three decapod crustacean species were tested for nociceptive behaviour: Louisiana red swamp crayfish (Procambarus clarkii), white shrimp (Litopenaeus setiferus), and grass shrimp (Palaemonetes sp.). Applying sodium hydroxide, hydrochloric acid, or benzocaine to the antennae caused no change in behaviour in the three species compared to controls.

> Previously reported responses to extreme pH are either not consistently evoked across species or were mischaracterized as nociception. There was no behavioural or physiological evidence that the antennae contained specialized nociceptors that responded to pH.(1)

ΒΆ

So far, invertebrates have not received protected status under animal protection legislation, with the exception of cephalopods.(2) But I would not welcome regulations regarding the humane treatment of invertebrates in general, because that leads us down the slippery slope to assigning consciousness to plants, and ... rocks.

(1) Puri S, Faulkes Z (2010) Do Decapod Crustaceans Have Nociceptors for Extreme pH? PLoS ONE 5(4): e10244.
(2) The Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986 Amendment Regulations 2012. European Parliament and of the Council on the protection of animals used for scientific purposes.