From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 07:36:29 -0400
Garry Libby wrote:

> Bill Truesdale wrote:
> "......I note that it has done nothing when it comes to ragweed and me."
>
> Bill, wouldn't the honey have to have ragweed pollen in it to help set up
> the bodies antibodies to prevent allergic reaction? Do bees visit ragweed? I
> think the people that aren't helped are the ones allergic to pollen that
> honeybees don't collect, wouldn't that be a reasonable explanation?

Interesting question.. are there are pollens that bees do not collect?

My guess is there are none, since they collect any pollen like
substances and take it back to their hives. I have seen them collect
corn dust from my bird feeder. They will be all over my cedar trees in
spring. It is known that they will collect pesticides that are pollen
like, which can be devastating to a colony. So my guess is that the
pollen in honey and the hive can give a good indication as to what is
available in the area. Bees are not too particular if they need pollen.

Bill Truesdell
BAth, Maine