Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 2009 09:25:55 -0600
> Allen has used his "pillows" for years evidently and will possibly
> comment.

They work well for me and I see that others have adopted the idea and in
some cases it is replacing burlap, carpet samples, or hard inner covers.  As
mentioned previously, the various methods I have used over the years are
documented under "Selected Topics" at www.honeybeeworld.com

> Experience has shown me i need a certain weight to winter.  If in doubt I
> weigh the hive with a scale ( Paulose) like Mike Palmer uses

I am unaware of this scale, and Google is no help.

> Combining two "dinks" many times means you end up with one super big
> "dink".  Failing queens are one of the main reasons for "dinks".

This can be true, but if the hives look OK, other than size and are maybe
behind due to supercedure, drifting, accident, etc., we have found that more
often than not, the resulting hive winters just fine and is OK in the
spring.  The combining has to be done in good  weather, though, leaving time
for feeding if necessary.

YMMV.