From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 18:03:12 -0600
> (I missed the original post since I am on the BestofBee list,

Not true.  At least, if you missed it, it should not have been due to
being on Best of Bee.

Just to set the record straight -- all Best of Bee subscribers did -- or
should have received -- the original post by David Eyre which was titled
'Re: DNA'.

It is possible that the posts may have arrived out of order, USENET style
with the reply before the question, but they were all there. FWIW,  I have
learned over the years to check my mailbox contents before bothering to
write a long response, since I often find someone else has already
answered the question or made a comment, or that the original post has
been retracted or modified.

At any rate, in this case, the use of Re: in the original title may have
caused some to conclude that the post in question was a reply,
however it was, in fact, the original post and 'Re:' in this case meant
'regarding DNA', not regarding a post entitled 'DNA'.

I go to pains to mention this, rather than let it pass, because I would
not want people thinking I would omit such an interesting and relevant
contribution on Best of Bee.  Granted, sometimes I do not
immediately convey an original post where the subject or presentation is
of marginal interest, redundant or off topic, but I do publish replies
(including quotes of the original sufficient to get the drift) if the
reply is at all useful or thought-provoking.

> and I hope your replies to this mail seem important enough to Allen to
> post them to BestofBee as well.)

Certainly.  Intelligent discussion of these important topics are what we
are here for and your contribution is much appreciated.

Allen