From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 1997 08:26:38 -0800
On Fri, 7 Mar 1997, MIKE ALLSOPP wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have had a query from the owner of a hotel who has a serious
> problem with large numbers of bees foraging at the buffet tables that
> are set around the pool area. He is, understandably, concerned about
> the repercussions should one of his guests ingest a bee by accident.
> And at the same time he is loathe to decimate every feral (wild)
> honeybee colony in the vicinity, even if that were possible.
>
> So he asks if there is any way to adequately discourage the foragers
> from making a nuisance of themselves. I have no prior experience in
> this, and was hoping that someone on the list might have faced a
> similar problem before, or have some suggestions as to how I might
> proceed. I have an idea that UV light, or polarised light, in some
> form might be of some use.
>
> I look forward to any information or ideas.

Hi Mike,   I have had experience with yellow jackets and there were some
honey bees around also.When I put out my honey to sample at farmers
markets , I put a sheet of Bounce fabric softener under a table cloth and
it works very well, in keeping the yellow jackets away from the honey.Its
hard to get people even close to your table if they have to stand in line
with yellow jackets for a taste of honey.They will come up to about 3
meters and then leave after they get the sent of bounce.

 Best Regards

 Roy