From:
MIKE ALLSOPP <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 1997 15:46:03 GMT+2
Hi all

I have had a query from the owner of a hotel who has a serious
problem with large numbers of bees foraging at the buffet tables that
are set around the pool area. He is, understandably, concerned about
the repercussions should one of his guests ingest a bee by accident.
And at the same time he is loathe to decimate every feral (wild)
honeybee colony in the vicinity, even if that were possible.

So he asks if there is any way to adequately discourage the foragers
from making a nuisance of themselves. I have no prior experience in
this, and was hoping that someone on the list might have faced a
similar problem before, or have some suggestions as to how I might
proceed. I have an idea that UV light, or polarised light, in some
form might be of some use.

I look forward to any information or ideas.

thanks

Mike

Mike Allsopp                            tel    (27)(21) 887-4690
Honeybee Research Section               fax    (27)(21) 883-3285
Plant Protection Research Institute     pmail  plant3/vredma
Agricultural Research Council           email  [log in to unmask]
P/Bag X5017
Stellenbosch 7599
South Africa