Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Ted Wout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 1997 16:48:29 -0400
I'm not sure about Rett Thorpe's question on open buckets above the inner
cover but I see two possible negative affects.

1.  You're going to have major amounts of free space around the bucket
inside that hive body.  The bees may start building freestyle comb in that
space.

2.  I've used division board feeders with sticks floating in the sugar
water.  They seemed to work very well and held almost a gallon of sugar
water.  The downside is that many bees died by drowning in the sugar water.
 I foresee the same problem in this open bucket.  In fact, it may be even
greater.  A division board feeder is very narrow.  If a bee falls in
there's a chance that it can make it to the side or the stick with some
"swimming" (do bees swim?:>) to the side.  In this round bucket that
distance may be greater and therefore less bees pull themselves out.  I
will not use division board feeders again and I wouldn't try this method
Rett described.

I know that you can buy buckets intended for this purpose.  They have lids
that seal properly and you put them upside down over the hole in the inner
cover.  I recommend buying them.

My favorite method of feeding my bees is Boardman feeders.  I understand
that several people don't like them.  They may incite robbing but I have
not experienced this.  The benefit of Boardman feeders is that you can
guage the amount of sugar water your bees are taking.  Being a beginner you
may want to use this and learn how much feed they'll take.  You can also
cut the bottom out of a boardman feeder, stuff the regular entrance and put
it over the hole in the inner cover to prevent robbing.

If you can find some, old half gallon canning jars make great feeders for
packaged bees.  You can double up (two feeders on the landing board) and
feed a gallon at a time.  I have not seen any of these jars in the stores
but if I see some at garage sales I buy them up.  Anybody know if they
still make half gallon canning jars?

Good luck with hiving your packages on Saturday, Rett.  Let us know how it
went.  It wasn't that long ago that I hived my first package and I
understand your nervousness.  Enjoy it!  You're embarking on a great hobby.
 Bee fever is a wonderful thing.

Ted Wout, 3rd year, 10 hives
Red Oak, TX