Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2011 11:02:37 -0300
From:
Fernando Esteban <[log in to unmask]>
In Argentina technicians (and official protocols) suggest to make the syrup dissolving sugar in water only.
Despite what was said 20 or 30 years ago about production of letal HMF for bees boiling syrup with acids, many beekeepers in Argentina make the syrup as Root's book "The ABC and XYZ" explains, without any problem. Syrup 2 / 1 (sugar /water) adding 1 g of tartaric acid per kilo of sugar.
I measured the results of this: invert sugar around 90%; HMF around 30 meq/kg.

In Argentina Honey pHs are betwen 3,8 - 5,2
Ventriculus pH is about 6.2 - 6.3 (Hoskins and Harrison, 1934)
Nosema better conditions pH 6 (De Graaf et al. 1993)

How many factors keep the ventriculus buffer at pH 6,3?
I don't know and I don't know how chemical reaccions occur in the ventriculus.
Calcium carbonate evacuated into the ventriculus might be one.

Concentration of calcium is a determinant factor for Nosema's growth. (Sarlo, G. 2006)
Acidity of a chelating agent such as tartaric acid could perhaps reduce the calcium concentration without affecting the buffer.

We did a small study in Cordoba province. The average spore count in the wet zone (San Justo Department) was 3 millons in June and July (our winter) and in dry zone (Ischilín Department) less than 50 thousands. (Sosa, E; Spadoni, J. et al. 2008)

I live and work in the dry area where Nosema is not a serius problem but, syrup published by Root, is still useful for us and perhaps it help us to have low levels of Nosema.

fernando
Cordoba, Arg.