Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 3 Oct 2009 11:16:21 -0700
From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
>Well, I am a doubter when it comes to any CO2 story,

There is nothing to doubt about CO2 percentages in the atmosphere (or in the
oceans)--they are easily measurable--you can do it at home with simple
titration.  I didn't mention global warming at all--please don't confuse the
issues.

> > I look around and see all the farmland groomed fence to fence and fallow
> no longer in evidence.

Not the same in my area--there has not been significant change in land use
in the 30 years that I've had colonies in the same yards.  Yards today do
not support as many colonies as they did in years past.

> >What amazed me was that these bees were on a great flow.  They produced
> almost 90 lbs in a month and during that time still ate the supplement at a
> good rate.

Kleinschmidt documented that overall protein content in bees' bodies tended
to drop during major honey flows.

> >One thing I keep telling people who think that patty feeding stimulates
> brood rearing

is that maybe, sometimes, it does, BUT the big effect they see is that the
> bees don't tear out or give up on what they already have overnight or during
> windy or rainy spells.

This is my observation, too.  It appears to me the feeding with light syrup
is more stimulatory, and that pollen supplement is necessary to sustain.

>Understood, but in the case of severe gut damage from nosema, does that
mechanism function?

The gut damage by nosema is to the epithelium.  Digestion takes place within
the peritrophic membrane.  Absorbtion takes place in the epithelium.  So the
two functions take place in separate areas.

Randy Oliver