From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 11:53:07 -0500
Elroy Roger's note on keeping queens out of comb honey supers without using
excluders was excellent and will work fine.  I exclusively raise comb honey
and will share another method that I learned from Killion.

Have the first super, on top of the brood nest, be a Ross Rounds super.
Above that put a cut comb super.  For some reason queens do not like that
complicated space in a Ross Round super, and in over 20 years I've never had
a queen lay in a Ross Rounds super and Killion's experience was similar.
The bees will not draw out the comb in the cut comb super until the Ross
Round super is well filled.  When the Ross Round super is about 75% full,
move the cut comb super down on top of the brood nest and put the Ross Round
super above.  By this time, the bees will have established a 2" (or so)
honey barrier on the top of the brood nest, which the queen will not cross
to get to the cut comb super.

If another cut comb super is desired, it can then be added directly to the
top of the brood nest and the partially finished first cut comb super moved
up.