From:
"Janet L. Wilson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2018 12:11:25 -0400
Anne was asking if QMP should be removed before introducing a new queen...

In the University of Guelph videos on queen rearing they document their use of the mini mating nucs, which are set up with a cup or two of bees and a QMP half stick to hold them overnight before the ripe queen cell goes in. At one point they note they forgot to remove the stick, but no worries, the queen emerged, flew and mated.

Thanks for the observation on QMP use during requeening keeping the broodnest clear of nectar...we had a terrible time this year with post swarm control splits raising queens filling up with nectar (it was a legendary honey year here with an unusual and heavy spring flow all up the PacNW coast). This suggests it would be worth switching our method so that a ripe queen cell is ready to go in when the split is made, along with a QMP stick!