Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jun 2009 07:07:46 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
What are you observing with the bees this season?

Here in SW PA, early blooms; black cherry and honeysuckle seemed to indicate good tings to come. Black Locust bloom was a bit short, but the bees seemed to have done well with it.  Tulip is sill on and surplus very well.  Now bees on clover and Catalpa.  This is in contrast to the past 3 seasons where these early blooms failed in my area.

As far as bee health.  Swarms are abundant once again, almost comparable to pre varroa levels.  Competition for voids is fierce, I’m getting bee calls that turn out to be house hunting scouts. I’m turning down bee calls once again due to the abundance of calls. Feral swarms seemed to have increased in size, 4 and 5 pounders not uncommon.  Colonies are all very strong and healthy, havent been this strong in several years. Bees are very gentle this year.  

Thinking now of the beekeeping greats of the past stating that 2 of out of 10 years are exceptional years, this is shaping up to be one of those exceptional years.

Starting to wonder if past diagnoses of bee epidemic was not simply a secondary symptoms or misdiagnosed stress caused by the hardships of the "average poor season".   

Best Wishes,
Joe

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned 
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2