From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Sep 2009 16:43:05 -0700
...in
> the process
> of killing the old queen I noticed bees with the tell tell
> signs of
> Varroa.  Deformed wings.

Deformed wings is not a tell tale sign of varroa.  DWV is a honeybee viral pathogen either persisting as an inapparent infection or resulting in wing deformity. The occurrence of deformity is associated with the transmission of DWV through Varroa destructor during pupal stages, but DWV does not necessarily occur in varroa infested colonies.

Anyone else noticed an
> increase?

Here in SW PA, I have not noticed DWV or substantial levels of varroa for several years, either in my colonies or in the ferals I have collected.  IMO, suggesting either resistant mechanisms are sufficiently developed within the population, or for those that like to believe honeybees have no defense against varroa; perhaps SW PA is inhabited by the kinder strain of the non virulent type of mites.

Joe