From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Apr 2014 15:32:18 -0400
Hello Friends,
Its that history guy again...

I am researching the photos of Coley Ogg, who was
a beekeeper and traveling photographer in Kentucky
Appalachia.  Mr. Oggs great granddaughter is assisting
me with the project.

The image in the link below shows gums and a box hive.

I was wondering how honey was typically harvested
from gums of this type?

And also, what is the purpose of the wooden dowels
in the gums and box hive?

Supposing this image is Kentucky Appalachia, what type
of tree would likely have been used in its construction,
which appears to have been easy to carve out a hollow?

Please contact me or send information about gum
beekeeping in Appalachia.

I did search through all my Eva Crane books.  There is
not much detail there on this subject, however, Eva does
make mention, expressing, in a very kind way, her
disappointment with Americans lack of interest in
documenting their beekeeping history.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=642996219056027&set=pb.166817870007200.-2207520000.1396724909.&type=3&theater

Thanks in Advance,
Joe Waggle