From:
Gavin Ramsay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2007 08:13:35 +0000
Hi Peter

> Right, but I just don't know if the measurements made by a trained
> scientist and those made by the average beekeeper would be of
> comparable accuracy.

Dave Cushman is very meticulous (as I'm sure he'll explain in a minute!) and his methods are fully explained on the web page which Chris gave.  I don't know how Dennis Murrell measured comb, but if you read his site you will see that he is a man that has insight that goes beyond that you will find in many scientists.  He certainly is no 'average beekeeper'.

> I know Tom Seeley and he is one of the most meticulous persons
> I have ever met.

I don't doubt Tom Seeley's meticulousness, but nor do I doubt that brood comb varies in cell size.  Perhaps the conditions for the comb building that Tom Seeley measured were different, or perhaps there was variation there and he was only interested in giving an average.

all the best

Gavin