From:
Walter Patton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 1996 01:38:32 -1000
Dear U S bee-l readers.
      My concern with the many posting sharing back yard remedies and
different types of
formulas approved and unproved and deviation from manufactures application
labeling was
not a shot at good beekeepers and their struggle to save their bees it was a
alarm that
conversation on the list at many times sounded like a bunch of good old boys
looking for
badly needed solutions regardless of what was legal and approved. This got
me concerned
that the message on a system like this BEE- L should be a forum for the
repeated message of
the importance of strict compliance with manufactures labels instructions
without deviation
when administering medications to the bee hive. I do think TM is a drug and
regret the
wording in my post as my point was that we only have to resort to TM
infrequently and
always in compliance with the manufactures label instructions. Many Hawaii
beekeepers have
never used TM in their hives. TM used correctly can be used even in an
organic honey
certification process according to the organic standards I have read. I do
not want to separate
Hawaii from mainland U S beekeepers as we all must work together. I
certainly don't want to
create any alienation by my actions. I really feel that if the Hawaii
honeybees test out clean that
they should be protected as a national resource.
       I know lots of good U S  beekeepers are trying hard every day to
produce the best bee hive
products on earth and I respect these people and I feel that continued
conversations could
only cause others  that might read  or be asked to read some of the posting
about home
remedies could only be fuel for concern if put before the public . Please
don't be too quick to
judge and I will continue to ask questions where I feel that answers are
needed. I really come from a
good place and I ma be burdened with an issueworthy of  investigating. We do
not have a
advocate for honeybees in the USDA.  We need to get organized in demanding some
answers and not ever get complacent in or demands for understanding. We are
the keepers of
the bees and we must develop a unified voice with our needs.
     Sincerely   Walter

Walter & Elisabeth Patton,  27-703 A Ka' ie'ie Rd., Papaikou HI.,96781
    Ph./Fax. 808-964-5401       E-Mail  hihoney@ilhawaii

Beekeeper and Bed  & Breakfast Owner in Hawaii

  http://www.alohamall.com/hamakua/hihoney.htm
http://www.alohamall.com/hamakua/beeware.htm
   http://www.alohamall.com/hamakua/lamalani.htm