Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2010 20:24:36 -0600
>> I have tried various dosages, up to one gram per gallon, usually .5 or
>> 3/4 gram per gallon"
> Can someone comment on how the 1/2 gram/gallon compares to the .06% thymol
> concentration from the ARS study?

One US gallon is about 3.78 litres
       One litre of water is 1000 grams
Then one US gallon of water is about 3,780 grams

1/2 gram per gallon of water is the same as one part in 2 gallons
       or 1/(2 x 1,000 x 3.78)=1/7560

1/7650 x 100=0.13%
In water, then, 1/2 gram/gallon is 0.13%

Depending on the syrup concentration, the SG of the syrup will vary, but if
the SG is known, then the concentration should be roughly 0.13% x 1/SG

0.06% would be half that.

I'm sure everyone will check my calculations and correct me if I goofed.

---

FWIW, the Turkish study used 0.25 grams/gallon according to my calcs.

--- begin quote ---

The infestation level was classified as
 - low (0.1 to 5.0 million spores per bee),
 - medium (5.0 to 10.0 million spores per bee) and
 - heavy (over 10.1 million spores per bee).

When the spores were diagnosed more than 2 million in a bee, Fumidil-B and
thymol were applied in treatment groups in spring and autumn.

For this purpose Fumidil-B (Abbott-USA) was dissolved 1 g
Fumidil/colony/week in 150 mL 30% sugar syrup and given once a week to the
bees for 4 consecutive weeks for 3 years period on infected colonies.

The sugar syrup concentration of 0.44 mM crystallized thymol is (equal to 66
micrograms thymol per mL of syrup, 0.000001 g) prepared and added in sugar
syrup. of thymol medicated group with the same incidence of Fumidil-B
application1

The control group was fed only with sugar syrup and no-medication was
applied.