From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 19:32:38 -0500
Hello Allen and All,
Allen wrote:
> 250-300 Hz is well within the frequency range that most humans can hear.

I am a beekeeper and out of my area of expertise but will comment of the
three websites Allen provided.

The church study says "256" cycles per second for middle C . Are cycles the
same as Hertz?

The "Fletcher Munson" study Allen provided says hearing starts at 500 to
1500 Hz. Which would make the quote by Michelson correct or am I missing
something?

I did not understand the other site provided.

I did not know the level of Hertz when most people can first hear when I did
the post and only commented after reading  the statement by Michelson.from
pg. 286.

I should have added this sentence by Michelsen  from page 286 of the 92
"Hive and the Honey Bee "(the sentence directly follows my  earlier quote)
:

"These sounds (250-300Hertz )are produced by the wings of the dancing bee
and are INAUDIBLE to the HUMAN EAR"( Michelsen 1987).

If 250-300 Hertz is very much within the range of human hearing as Allen
suggests then  the above quote taken directly from pg. 286 need to be
changed in the next edition of "The Hive and the Honey Bee".

Is 250-300 Hertz beyond the hearing of humans?

If Allen is correct then I will contact my friends at Dadant  for a
correction in the next edition of " The Hive and the Honey Bee".
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Ps.
Any comments on the Michelsen statement( pg. 286 first sentence) from Dadant
by Joe Graham or Jerry Hayes?