From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 08:59:43 -0500
> Simoneau André (DRMONTR) (L'Assomption) wrote:

> There are so many anomalies in the data about open bottoms that it is
> obvious that the variables involved have quite an effect on data.

Simoneau raises a valid point. Unlike the study of many other things  it is
hard (if not impossible to get x amount of hives alike in every way).  The
goal of the commercial beekeeper is to get all the hives in each yard as
*close* to the same. The reason is so when you super  they all need a super.
There is little robbing as all are of the same strength. I would guess a
10 - 20 % difference between hives even with the best effort.

Dr. Delaplane  which I admire greatly is aware of the problem and keeps as
close a eye out as he can. An example  is on his video tape series *Honey
Bees and Beekeeping available from most bee supply houses.

Dr. Delaplane attempts to get ten hives ready for the spring flow. Although
all are treated the same two lag seriously behind. Those two hives are
simply not building up like the others. Dr. Delaplane requeens and the hives
start  building up.  Dr. Delaplane concludes the two queens were the problem
.
 I agree as the problem was solved *but* we have got eight hives with at
least 10-20% more brood. Varroa reproduction is *directly* related (in my
opinion) to the amount of brood being produced. The reason your strongest
hive always has the highest infestation rate in the fall.

Something not said before on Bee-L or ever in print I have seen. In my
opinion Italians  will carry a higher varroa count when tested early in the
spring than any other race. Not  rocket science. The Italian bee broods up
faster and earlier than most races. So all bees should be of the *same* race
when varroa testing   is done to get accurate results when varroa testing
screened bottom boards in spring.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison