From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 1996 12:16:55 -0600
> > >Hi everyone, >
> >I have a naturally aggressive hive, which someone has given me
> >(lucky me). They seem healthy etc, but even on good days, during a
> >flow and will fly off the combs and attack. It is virtually
> >impossible to get through the brood box of these bees without a lot
> >of trouble. They are in sharp contrast to my other bees which are
> >very easy to handle.
> >
> >The books I have read say if a colony becomes aggressive for no
> >obvious reason the then requeen it.
> >
> >The problem is I find I can't find the queen during my hurried and
> >distracted inspections.
> >
> >Is there an easy way to get the old queen out, which doesn't
> >involve a lot of disruption.

Well, you can exchange the hive with another at a time when they are
flying a lot -- during a flow.

Much of the  flying force of the mad bees will then be in the other
hive and milder bees in the one in question.

Do this with a several hives (if you have them available) several
days apart, and you should be able to work them.

Also consider working them at mid-day during a good flow when most
of the flying bees are out and the population is lower.
Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>