Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 8 Jun 2009 08:58:22 -0400
From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Sender:
On 8-Jun-09, at 3:51 AM, Peter Edwards wrote:

> Randy:
>
>> This paper suggests that a very late pollen flow or feeding
>> may actually be detrimental to wintering.
>
> Certainly not my experience.  Availability of pollen late in the
> year produces a flush of young bees that overwinter well.

Hi Peter Randy and all

Heather Matilla, the author of the work Randy quoted,  did her work
at the U of Guelph in Ontario.  Southern Ontario winter weather,
while not really severe, is certainly different than Stratford on
Avon.  Could the different climates not affect the results?  Getting
the bees to cluster early in the fall seems to be the way to go
here.  We had a joint meeting of the Dufferin and Wellington
Beekeepers Associations to hear Heather speak about her work.  She
found that early spring feeding of pollen or substitute was very
beneficial whereas autumn feeding was less so on the spring buildup
of colonies.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada