From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 1996 22:00:11 -0700
On Mon, 10 Jun 1996, Jerry J Bromenshenk wrote:

> Hi:
>
> Our guys use the heavy duty, solar-powered fence chargers.
>
> The ideas of foil coated with peanut butter, tuna cans, etc. on the wire
> do help the bear get the idea.  Tongues and noses are much more sensitive
> than furry backsides.
>
> However, the key to success is providing a good ground.  In our semi-arid
> climate, the soil gets so dry that the bear (or you and I) often gets
> only a minor shock, even if a long rod has been hammered into the soil.
>
> So, we do two things:
>
> 1) Alternate "hot" wires with "ground" wires in your fence
>
> 2) Provide a wire mesh ground all around the perimeter of your beeyard.
> Just outside your electric fence, place a chicken wire, woven wire, or
> similar fine mesh wire fence flat on the ground, parallel to your
> electric fence.

> Of these suggestions, the ground mat is the most important.
>
> Finally, keep the weeds away from your "hot" wires, or else the system
> will ground through them.
>
> The fence mat idea and solar chargers were worked out between our
> commercial folks and the Fish and Game folks years ago.  It still seems
> to be the best overall solution.
>
> Hope  this helps.  None of this is new, but the talk of auto parts
> "special" chargers, tall platforms, etc. seem like a more costly approach.

  Hi Jerry and All, Where I live , we have the largest cosntration of
black bear in the state of Washington. I had one knock over a hgive while
my Wife and little on were out playing on the lawn about 150 feet away.
 I do about the same thing as you said Jerry. I use sardine cans and wire
them to the top hot wire and use a middle ground wire and another hot
wire on the bottem.My local game department person gave me the info on
how to set it up. Over the years I have had bear grab the sardine can
about 3 or 4 times. I have never had a problem with the bear getting into
my bees. They go for the sardines first and then they go for the next
county. The ground looks like a rototiller went to work where the bear
grabed the can. They don't come back for seconds. I like the ground mat
idea if your in a dry area or don't have the ground wire about 6 inches
below the sardine can. I use the sardines that are packed in oil.
Best Regards

  Roy