From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2017 16:35:49 -0400
I have done this annually for about the last 20 years, using about every
means possible.  Perhaps some of my experiences will be helpful.

For 185 packages, I think that the best possible way to do so would be in
an air conditioned van, providing that there would be a means of either
propping open one of the back doors, opening windows in the back doors, or
possibly opening windows on both sides toward the rear.  But I gather that
is not an option for this year.

So, I will limit my comments to your thoughts of using plywood and 2 x 4's
to contain the packages on a rented one-way trailer.

I am surprised there is such a thing as a one-way trailer rental from GA to
NY, but I assume you have worked this out.  Trailers typically come in
lengths of 12, 14, 16, and 18 feet and widths of 5 or 6 feet.  I understand
that 16 x 5 is most common.  Each package will weigh about 5 lbs.  My
personal trailer is 12 x 5 and weighs 1,500 lbs.  So, 185 packages and a
trailer would weigh about 2,500 lbs.  Be certain your truck can handle
this, which it almost certainly can.  Also, be certain you have a hitch of
the proper size for the trailer.  You want to do these things before you
leave for Georgia.  Be certain your trailer rental has two axles (four
wheels) and electric breaks, and that your truck cab either has the
controls for the breaks or that the trailer rental place will put them in
before you leave.  *You do not want to be hauling 185 packages and relying
solely on your truck breaks.  That would be a disaster in the making.*  Of
course, you also want to be certain you have a spare tire and wheel,
together with a jack and means of handling the lug bolts.

Your biggest problem is going to be leakage from the syrup cans.  I made
two trips with a standard trailer with leaf springs, and one trip with a
trailer with torsion springs (whatever they are), and one trip with a horse
trailer.  With the standard trailer with leaf springs, about 50% of the
syrup cans were empty by the time we got to Albany and the rest were less
than 1/2 full.  The trailer with torsion springs and the horse trailer were
better, but not by a whole lot.  The beds of the trailers were a sticky
mess, but the bees didn't seem to suffer a lot and I don't think I lost a
single package.

Transporting inside a pickup truck or a van does not result in excessive
syrup leakage (I suspect coil springs are the reason) and I have seen
enclosed trailers built to transport packages that also do just fine.

It is *very important* that the package supplier understand that you will
be using a trailer and that they should severely restrict both the diameter
and the number of the holes.

As you were planning, build the enclosure before you leave.  You will not
be able to fasten the 2 x 4's to the trailer, but fasten them to the
plywood.  I'd suggest lag screws and washers.  If you use bolts you will
sacrifice space inside the enclosure, which is fine if you have room.  Have
2 x 4's on the ends of the plywood so you get a secure box.  Leave *at
least 2"* of space between the upper end of the 2 x 4's and the plywood.
 4" would be better.  The top of your box will be plywood.  Rather than
fasten to the 2 x 4 with screws into the ends, use right angle clips with
3/4" screws into the plywood and 1.5" screws into the sides of the 2 x 4.
Then also use two or four two-inch ratchet straps across the width of the
box.  (You will probably have to fasten these to the fenders of the
trailer.)

Then take the box apart and reassemble it, except for the rear opening and
the top, before you take the trailer to be packed by the package supplier.
You will not want to put on the top or the back until the packages are
firmly in place.

As others have said, heat is your enemy.  The package supplier will load
your trailer in a covered area, so even if it is raining you will be fine.
Hopefully, he will let you keep it there until you have the top and the
back in place.  In mid-April it will likely be 80-85 degrees by 10:00 AM,
and over 90 degrees by the time you get to the Savannah area.

I highly recommend that before you get to Savannah you make a sharp left
turn and get to Interstate 81 asap.  The cool air of the North Carolina and
PA mountains is going to be your friend.  If we got into night temperatures
below 60, we'd stop and sleep for four hours and it made a huge
difference.  We would not stop at 60 degrees or above; I'd say we got to
stop about every other year.

If you continue on Interstate 95, you will hit New Jersey during full
commuting rush hours.  That is actually ok if there are no accidents, but a
single accident can easily delay you by 30-45 minutes.  Once, early on, I
was helping Bob Stevens of Betterbee with a load of 450 packages and we hit
NJ rush hour traffic with an accident and arrived with about 60 dead
packages.  IMHO, not worth it.

Finally, consider buying MDF plywood and pressure treated 2 x 4's.  If you
can store them indoors they will last many years, even if you hit rain.
I've made the trip almost entirely in the rain, and the bees did just
fine.  Rain is far better than 12 hours of driving in 80-90 degree weather.

Pack a cooler and thermos.  Fill the cooler with sandwiches in GA the night
before you leave.

*Your #1 challenge will be the syrup cans.*

Let me know if you have more questions.

Lloyd