From:
Robert Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2017 14:11:55 -0400
On 24-Mar-17, at 10:24 AM, Adam Ritchie wrote:

> I am not sure that 80% is much better than the double shaker jar.

Hi Adam & All

At a local Beek meeting this week, we were overwhelmed with new
attendees.  One of these unknown(at least to me) people stated that he
recently used a double shaker jar to  check the dead bees on the
bottom board and got a count of 23 mites.  As I normally use sticky
boards I fabricated a double jar shaker and  tested dead bees from
between the frames and bottom board of a couple of deadouts.  I found
1 mite in the bottom board test and zero  from the bees dead on the
comb.  Could those of you with experience comment on testing dead bees
for varroa using any method?  It obviously won't help the dead hive
but might help convince TF beeks that varroa are a problem.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada
44N80W