From:
Christina Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 2014 19:54:27 +0000
Dick said:

"When I consider such factors in the context of this study I conclude that it is highly unlikely that the amount of most fat soluble pesticides would get from the wax into the larval food in sufficient concentrations to have any meaningful impact on the larva greater than feeding at a concentration equal to or lower than the substances water solubility. Particularly in the few days it takes a larva to go from hatching to cocoon."
This was a great post, and I appreciate the chance to LEARN something, thank you.

"My whole concern is based on the idea that the pesticide substances are in fact dissolved in the wax at larval growth temperatures.  From personal experience I know bees wax is one heck of a good solvent for many organics."

So, do you see a problem with the design of the experiment we have been discussing (Zhu et al)?

Christina