From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2010 08:03:36 -0500
> Although AFB spores are very difficult to kill, the beekeeper's view was
> that they had become wax-coated by the process and thus cut off from
> anything
> that would activate them.

A million AFB spores will fit on the head of a pin I am told. The above is
also put forth by some foundation supply houses.

I am sure the case at times but reason says not always.

Science says the temps used to render and make foundation is not NEAR high
enough to kill AFB spores.

The ONLY science based solution was to add and remove a chemical which would
kill spores. The commercial beekeeper position has always been to render
normally and we will deal with possible AFB from foundation OR make the
foundation from beekeeper provided cappings wax only.

Concerns about AFB spores in foundation has came mostly from the hobby
sector. A bigger concern is about coumaphos & fluvalinate levels in
foundation.

bob