From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2018 09:45:29 -0500
> A fairly obvious suggested framework when making claims about treatment free, survival, resistance/tolerance:
> Lack of treatment - There are environmental conditions or management activities that could give colonies an unrecognized advantage that should be revealed.

Hi Jose
While I agree on principal that there should be standards, on this particular issue I doubt we will all agree. For example, most of these so-called definitions of "treatment" I would call: "beekeeping."

I would point to Seeley's latest experiment where single hives are placed in various locations and left unmanaged. They are most certainly treatment free! Nothing whatsoever is being done to them, nothing. Obviously, that is not beekeeping.

On the other hand, the latest BIP studies show that the highest level of survival is among professional beekeepers who essentially do *everything* to keep their bees well and alive.

Same as we do for ourselves. Most of us, that is; there are a few nature lovers out there that won't go to the doctor unless they have a fever over 103° (39°C) or cardiac arrest.

PLB