Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 2016 09:56:11 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Hi all
As I working scientist, I bristle when I hear people trash science, the scientific method, and substitute faith, belief and superstition. However, the scientific community has a credibility issue which it is now attempting to address:

Irreproducible studies

> In 2012, Amgen researchers made headlines when they declared that they had been unable to reproduce the findings  in 47 of 53 'landmark' cancer papers.

> Right now, the main way that the scientific community spreads the word about irreproducible research is through innuendo, which is inefficient and unfair to the original researchers, says Ricardo Dolmetsch, global head of neuroscience at Novartis’s Institutes for Biomedical Research in Cambridge, Massachusetts. “Anything we can do to improve the ratio of signal to noise in the literature is very welcome,” he says.

> Elizabeth Iorns, head of Science Exchange in Palo Alto, California says. “Hopefully, the awareness of the reproducibility issue has been raised such that people are no longer afraid to talk about it.”

PLB

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2