From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2013 22:40:28 -0600
> The only variable he could think of to explain this loss was the 400 dead
> hives had pollinated a vegetable crop treated with neonics the previous
> summer. On the other hand, I’ve also talked to beekeepers who used their
> hives to pollinate hybrid canola treated with neonics - with no ill
> effects.”

The chemical companies have always pointed to canola when U.S. beekeepers
pointed to corn.

Each crop is a bit different and perhaps fungicides and other factors enter
into the issues.

Because you said you had a copy of the pesticide bible ( Pollinator
Protection by Johansen & Mayer) let me point you to a few points brought up
in the book Christina with page numbers.

When the neonic subject first came up on BEE-L a few members tried to say
corn was never a worry to beekeepers and said "Bees do not even gather corn
pollen"

Paul C. posted a warm and fuzzy YouTube video of all the pollinators near a
corn field.

90 million acres of U.S. corn . Not sure the amount of miles driven to make
the video. Not what I see.

From the book:
pg. 110
"When major bee kills occurred after WW2 beekeepers and growers fell into
two
sharply divided camps. Growers and pesticide producers felt the death of
bees was a small price to pay for modern agriculture"

The above is not me talking! The above is true today. The sooner beekeepers
understand the better able they are to survive.

Back to corn:

on page 110 is a picture of a corn tassel with the caption:

13.1 "Pollen-shedding corn poses a high hazard to bees;laws have been passed
in many areas to prevent bee kills"

Yep! pass a few laws and problem solved.

pg. 123
picture of hives near a corn field with the caption:

15.1 "avoid high-risk apiary locations ,such as this one near a corn field"

In my opinion despite a recent article which says a few beekeepers in the
Midwest have the best bees  near corn in my opinion corn is harder on bees
today than ever before and I am not simply talking about planter dust.

I  am just getting started with information from the rare above book.

I was sent a copy from the Midwestern Beekeepers library. The librarian said
I was the last person to check out over a decade ago so I could keep as long
as needed. I actually donated the book to the library back when I was
president. During the time period the book was published. I bought several
books from Dr. Larry Conner (wicwas press) read and then donated.

bob