From:
Stellio Matson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2013 21:44:42 -0800
--- On Sat, 2/16/13, Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Paul C. posted a warm and fuzzy YouTube video of all the
> pollinators near a corn field. 90 million acres of U.S.
> corn . Not sure the amount of miles
> driven to make the video. Not what I see.

Bob, all the footage in this 16 minute video I
shot last August was taken on the outskirts of
Fairfax and Gibbon, Minnesota (south-central
Minnesota):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZCOJnJU1UE

Fairfax and Gibbon are small farmtowns in the heart
of the most intense corn and soybean monocultures to
be found in Minnesota and those crops are grown from
neonic coated seed. All the footage was
captured on the same day within a few hours time.
Basically any roadside ditch next to a corn
field that had some red clover, alfalfa, thistles, sunflowers,
etc. in bloom had an abundance of honeybees
and almost always bumblebees.

Next summer I will do something more systematic
like randomly selecting 5 x 5 mile stretches of
farm road bordering midwestern corn fields and stop
every mile and start the camera rolling to
see if any flowers and honeybees and/or bumblebees
on those flowers can be found.  So that would
amount to 25 movie clips of 1-2 minutes each
spanning a total of 25 miles of farm road in the
heart of neonic country.  So it would end up being a
25-50 minute video most likely.

Paul Cherubini
El Dorado, Calif.