From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 9 Jun 1996 07:19:51 -0600
> You wrote:
> >
> >Dear all
> >
> >I have subscibed to bee-l, I keep getting all your mail.
> >
> >I only want to be able to open Bee-l when I want to .
> >
> >Is there any way I can do this without un-subscribing

Yes, It's simple.  You do want to stay subscribed because you can't
post or receive logs from the LISTSERV, etc.  unless you are
subscribed.

Send a message to the [log in to unmask] saying

Set BEE-L NOMAIL

You will get no mail.

Then send a message saying

SET BEE-L MAIL

When you want it to resume.

If you want all the mail, but in one package per day,

SET BEE-L DIGEST

If you don't want to get any mail, but you want to read BEE-L anyhow,

SET BEE-L NOMAIL

And then send a message to the LISTSERV when you want to read BEE-L
saying

GET BEE-L LOG9606

One message with all the messages
posted in June (06) of 1996 (96) will be emailed to you within
minutes or hours.  Other logs can be had by changing '9606' to say,
'9502' for Feb 1995 etc..

(Warning: The logs can be  up to 1 Meg -- or more -- due largely to all the
redundant quotes, 'me too' posts and vanity signatures favoured by
some.  They are small early in the month and become monsters by month
end).

Or

Visit my website (below) , find the beekeeping section and go to the
'BEE-L Logs' section.  You can read any of the logs for the entire
history of BEE-L from there.  All recent logs are about a meg, so be
prepared to read mail or something while they are being retrieved by
your brouser.

Tip: Personally I run multiple windows -- usually four -- in
Netscape (File menu, 'New web Brouser' option) and use one while
others) are filling in in the background.  Windows users who have
the 'alt/tab' option enabled can switch windows by holding down the
'alt' key and pressing 'tab' until the correct window appears.

I have not been as religious about keeping the logs up-to-date in the
last few weeks because I've been busy.  Someone reminded me
yesterday, and they are pretty well current at present.

Hope this helps.

Anyone having problems related to the above is welcome to write me.
But be warned, I am off now for a well-deserved two days of
windsurfing and won't be able to reply til I'm back.

PS: The LISTSERV also has capabilities that permit for searching for
all posts  on any topic.  However whenever I have sat down to try to
figure it out from the instructions, my eyes have glazed over and
I've given up.  Has anyone used this?  If so I'd like to know how it
worked.  Is there a simple method?

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>