From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Aug 2016 09:17:55 -0500
Now, wouldn't it be cool to have 10,000 weight, temperature and humidity data covering the entire country and be able to correlate it with other available data? Blooming times or Grow Degree Days to correlate with honey flows, BIP colony survivor data (if they can be linked), etc. It seems that researches are always after good data and here's a chance to have really interesting (and continuous) stream of data to analyze. The possibilities seem endless...

Absolutely not in my opinion.   Way to much noise and garbage.  You cannot correlate hive weight weather survivors and honey flows.   Way to many variables for the common mind to digest.  Simple examples  your hive weight.  You don't know  (by your own admission)  if the swarmed or ate honey.
When you get multiple yards you start to realize yard to yard variables are huge.  Some yards are producing while 5 miles away are starving. Hive weights dropping can be from starvation,  or a buildup of bees.

For example right now I have 200 hives or so that came back from cranberries  full of bees.  Literally 3 deeps worth of bees,  weighing almost nothing.  And on the same load about an equal number that have 40lbs of honey and barely any bees.

Add to that variables such as hive configuration, mites and beekeeper management  and you have a recipe for data overload that makes it completely meaningless.

We kind of have that problem now with BIP,  so much data,  the analyzing of it its extremely suspect and biased.  Hardly what we need in the business is more noise. Just my opinion. What we need is carefully detailed and thought out information.

Charles