From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Aug 2016 16:41:39 -0500
For the research project that our team did for Prof.Bromenshenk's MB class at UMT we ran a survey and found out that the biggest influence on new beekeeper's management style is the person who mentored them. 1,500 self-selected responses from 48 states and 20 countries. Is it noise? Does it confirm what some of the experts we've interviewed were suspecting

Its interesting data,  from a controlled study,  not random noise from a bunch of hobbiest with no qualifying data or correlation!  Who would be able to correlate it??  Completely impossible.  It took you a few days to figure out what you think the scale is telling you.  You think someone can look at trends ??  I also know how much work you guys put into crunching that data.  Whos going to even ponder that for this scale info??  Only those looking to sell something or get funding from somewhere.

I can tell you right now...  in the feb in Fla  and slowly moving northward the scales will start to climb.   Towards Aug they will peak and start to drop.  Beyond that its worse than noise,  it’s a sales pitch! (nothing wrong with that)  but I can see it now

	"become a citizen scientist"  "upload your data and help the bees"    I would bet hard cash I could get a lot of money on gofund me with that

But that said it doesn't mean you cant do go work with a scale and weather maps.  But it takes a lot more than a bunch of data points to be valuable.  Lets take your research survey as example,  great work,  but whats it help?  It’s a restatement of what many would say is obvious. After that  what's the value?  Will it help shape the way we mentor??  Does it tell us anything that helps us be better beekeepers??
It’s a great lesson,  and interesting conversation,  but I prefer my data to have a direction a goal if you will.  My head is full of random facts  such as Neonics are bad for bees,  what it needs is data on how much and where they get them.  How weather can affect the foraging of a hive  would be helpful,  only if you can describe the surrounding forage crops, and hive loading in the area.  How can it effect management of that hive,  that’s helpful  such as when you see a hive backslide 5% in 3 days add feed....

FWIW  6-7 lb loss as foragers leave sound excessive.  Given 3200 bees per lb your talking 18-20k bees leaving at one time.....doesn't sound quite right.  Is some of that loss possibly water evaporation from overnight???

Charles