From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2013 17:51:22 -0800
>So, Randy, and who will eat that pollen? Right, for most the larvae!

Ghislain, you really should read my articles--they are available at
ScientificBeekeeping.com.  Larvae don't necessarily eat pollen--it appears
to be more of a contaminant.  They are fed jelly.

 Do you know that the recognition procedures for neonics by Bayer -
certainly in

> Europe - didn't even foreseen in tests on larvae?

The LD50 for bee larvae by neonics has not been determined since they
appear to be completely unaffected by them.  Perhaps the receptor is not
yet developed in larvae.

> > A definitive survey recently conducted across the Corn Belt and Canada
> demonstrates that bees are exposed to only very low levels of clothianidin
> in either corn pollen, or canola pollen and nectar.
>
> >And yet! Please read this extract from the very recent EFSA analyze:

Thank you!  I especially noted this part: "However, it is noted that these

> assessments were only conducted for illustrative purposes and should not be
> considered as a definitive risk assessment.  Similar assessments were
> conducted with a slightly lower sublethal chronic endpoint, where effects
> on foraging were observed, but there was no impact
> on colony development.

Ghislain, the point is that even if someone calculates that there could be
a theoretical effect, every actual field trial in corn or canola has found
that the bees do fine, and winter fine.  As a beekeeper, I am more
interested in what happens in real life than what happens in someone's
speculation.
--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA